Enjoy gorgeously tanned skin all year long.
Spray tans have come a long way over the years. Good thing, too, because when they first entered the scene, spray tans didn’t get the best reputation. A less than desirable orangey hue often resulted from a run-in with clunky spray equipment of the past. But thanks to growing interest in the practice and overall advances in tanning products and applicators, spray tans have become a regular go-to for people who want to flaunt that sun-kissed golden look without the unwanted sun damage that comes with overexposure to outdoor rays.
How do spray tans work?
The basis for all spray tans is a single active ingredient called dihydroxyacetone (DHA). No matter what other ingredients are present, DHA is what’s responsible for the temporary tanning of the skin. DHA interacts with amino acids found in the top layer of the skin. Basically, it forms a variety of brown compounds called melanoidins, which are responsible for the tanning effect. The higher the percentage of DHA, the quicker and darker the tan will be.
How long will a spray tan last?
Depending on the specific shade you’re going for, most spray tans can last up to 10 days (for darker shades). Lighter shades last about a week or less. These temporary time frames make spray tanning a great option for showing off that beautiful glow for weddings, vacations, or other special events.
What products are used for spray tans at Zero Gravity?
We use the trusted brand of Norvell® products, which includes pre-tan solution to prepare the skin and Venetian handheld spray to provide violet-brown (not orange) undertones for an exotic Riviera tan. These products are paraben-free, gluten-free, non-comedogenic, and 100% vegan.
How do I prepare for my spray tan?
We ask our clients to prepare for their spray tan session by doing the following:
- Wax one or two days before and/or shave prior to your spray tan.
- Exfoliate your entire body before you come for your session.
- Avoid using any oil-based products, such as Dove, Caress, and Ivory soaps, prior to your session as these products can leave a film on your skin that could act as an unwanted barrier.
- Do not apply deodorant prior to your tan. You may apply two hours after your session.
- Your skin should be completely bare when you arrive for your spray tan. Moisturizers should especially be avoided as they can act as an unwanted barrier.
- Please let us know if you are using Retin-A, glycolic acid, AHA’s or a Clarisonic brush, as these may interfere with the products used in tanning.
- As far clothing: Women, it’s up to you what you’d like to wear during your session. If you plan on wearing a bra and panties or a bathing suit, please wear dark, washable fabrics. Men must wear dark, washable underwear or swimwear.
How do I care for my new tan after my session?
To ensure your tan is even after your session, we recommend the following:
- Bring loose, breathable clothing to your session and wear them for the next 8-10 hours.
- Let your tan sit for 8-10 hours. Avoid showering or sweating during this time.
- After 8-10 hours, wash your face and body with products that do not contain oils or petroleum.
- Do not exfoliate while you are tan, this includes rubbing with loofahs, washcloths, or any scrubs.
- After showering, be sure to pat dry. Do not rub.
- Remember to moisturize at least once a day after your tan for longest-lasting results.
How much does a spray tan at Zero Gravity cost?
Our spray tans cost only $40 per spray session. If multiple sessions are required for a deeper, darker tan, you can buy three sessions and get another session for FREE!
Schedule a free consultation!
An extra glow can add extra confidence for all skin tones. And in the hands of knowledgeable professionals at Zero Gravity, you’ll be surprised at how radiant you can be. If you’re looking for spray tans in the Cincinnati area, look no further! Our free consultation is your first step in helping you decide if spray tanning is the best option for you. Call us today at (859) 344-3250 or schedule your appointment online.